HBase >> mail # user >> when Hbase open a region, what does it do? problem with super big row(1.5GB data in one row)

Re: when Hbase open a region, what does it do? problem with super big row(1.5GB data in one row)
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 9:14 PM, steven zhuang
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>          I have a table which may contain super big rows, e.g. with
> millions of cells in one row, 1.5GB in size.
>
>          now I have problem at emitting data into the table, probably
> because of these super big rows are too large for my regionserver(with only
> 1GB heap)

A row can't be split and whatever you do that needs that row (like
reading it) requires that HBase loads the entire row in memory.  If
the row is 1.5GB and your regionserver has only 1G of memory, it won't
be able to use that row.

I'm not 100% sure about that because I'm still a HBase n00b too, but
that's my understanding.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com