Bigtop >> mail # user >> New jiras (thanks) :)

New jiras (thanks) :)
Thanks for all these new jiras focused on end users roman / cons !!(documentation, simplifying hive, jenkins)...

The hive one is sooo true: it's annoying that I need a hive server running to do smoke tests. Would like to just smoke test hive ETL without the extra stuff for simpler clusters.

I think in general there should be different types of smokes so that people don't require a whole installed infrastructure to run smokes.  Although the vendor distros expect all services running, individual users or small startups don't necessarily run all the ecosystem services , they just run the bare Apis, and smoke testing those is still of value on a cluster.

In our cluster we have a simple hive ETL that just runs a .q file which imports some tables. We package it by including shell scripts directly in the test-artifacts/pom file, and trigger those scripts from itest.

We do that instead of running the complex hive ETL. For pig we do something's similar , since we want to test basic pig API and not only the new .11 Apis, which are the only one supported currently in bigtop .

Anyways.. Thanks for keeping an eye out in this! Jiras like this will make bigtop more accessible to the masses !:)

Sent from my iPhone