Hadoop, mail # general - DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?

DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
Stack 2010-12-22, 23:30
I propose cutting a release from the tip of the branch-0.20-append
branch [1].  I suggest the release be called hadoop-0.20.0-append.  I
volunteer to run the release process. Are folks OK with this?

Here's some background.

The branch-0.20-append was forked from branch-0.20 a few months ago by
Dhruba to add an append/sync to 0.20.x era HDFS.  The added append
facility is made of the patches attached to HDFS-200 and then a bunch
of fixup patches done by Dhruba, Hairong, Nicolas, Todd, and others.
For a complete list of differences from the tip of the Hadoop
branch-0.20, see the CHANGE.txt file in branch-0.20-append [2].  The
HDFS-200 append/sync is not the same as the append/sync implementation
that is in hadoop 0.21.x and hadoop TRUNK.

The branch-0.20-append is a relatively small deviation from hadoop
0.20.x for those who want an append/sync in an (Apache) hadoop 0.20.x
[3].  Its for those unwilling to upgrade their clusters to hadoop
0.21.0 and for those who can't wait on the coming hadoop 0.22.0.  For
applications like HBase [4], an application that runs on HDFS and
"loses data" if no working append/sync, its critical that there is an
Apache release with a working append/sync.

A few of us have been playing with this branch with a while and it
seems to do the right thing.  Its fairly close to what FB runs
internally (correct me if I'm wrong in this last statement Dhruba).

Thanks,
St.Ack

1. http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-0.20-append/
2. http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-0.20-append/CHANGES.txt?view=markup
3. Cloudera's CDH3Beta2/3 already include an append/sync based off the
HDFS-200++ work.   There is no 'official' Apache hadoop 0.20.x with a
working append/sync.
4. http://hbase.apache.org