Pig >> mail # dev >> Pig 0.11

+
Jonathan Coveney 2012-10-11, 00:31
+
Gianmarco De Francisci Mo... 2012-10-11, 06:03
+
Bill Graham 2012-10-11, 06:23
+
Gianmarco De Francisci Mo... 2012-10-11, 21:16
+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2012-10-11, 21:44
+
Olga Natkovich 2012-10-12, 21:06
+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2012-10-13, 00:59
+
Jonathan Coveney 2012-10-14, 20:36
+
Olga Natkovich 2012-10-15, 18:50
+
Olga Natkovich 2012-10-15, 18:49
+
Alan Gates 2012-10-15, 18:55
+
Olga Natkovich 2012-10-22, 17:14
+
Alan Gates 2012-10-26, 05:44
+
Jonathan Coveney 2012-10-26, 18:36
Re: Pig 0.11
No blog posts, but a long and tortured email thread on incubator general:  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201203.mbox/%3CCAOFYJNY%3DEjVHrWVvAedR3OKwCv-BkTaCbEu0ufp7OZR_gpCTiA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

In a nutshell the logic is:

1) Apache's legal constituting documents require this, I think mostly for reason 2 below.

2) PMC members can't examine binaries.  If I generate a binary and give it to you to vote on, how do you know I haven't nefariously hidden a virus in the binary?  With source you can personally check everything and make sure nothing evil has been done.  The same applies to end users who pick up the code.

3) Many Apache projects are repackaged by OS vendors, etc. (Redhat, and so on).  They prefer source releases because they want to reconfigure the layout in their own way anyway.

Alan.

+
Russell Jurney 2012-10-26, 19:35
+