HBase >> mail # user >> What is HBase compaction-queue-size at all?

Re: What is HBase compaction-queue-size at all?
  - Is it the *number of Store* of regionserver need to be major compacted
   ? or numbers of which is* being* compacted currently ?
This is the number that are currently in the pipe. Doesn.'t mean they are
compacting right now, but they are queued for compaction. and not necessary
major compaction. Major is only if all the regions need to compact.

"I was discovering that at some time it got *regionserver
compaction-queue-size = 4*.(I check it from Ambari). That's theoretically
impossible since I have only *one Store *to write(sequential key) at any
time, incurring only one major compaction is more reasonable."

Why is this "impossible"? A store file is a dump of HBase memory blocks
written into the disk. Even if you write to a single region, single table,
with keys all close-by (even if it's all the same exact key). When the
block in memory reach a threshold, it's then written into the disk. When
more than x blocks (3 is the default) are there in disk, compaction is
launched.

   - Just more confusing is : Isn't multi-thread enabled at earlier version
   that will  allocate each compaction job to a thread , by this reason why
   there exists compaction queue waiting for processing ?

Yes, compaction is done on a separate thread, but there is one single
queue. You don't want to take 100% of you RS resources to do compactions...

Depending if you are doing mostly writes and almost no reads, you might
want to tweek some parameters. And also, you might want to look into bulk

Last, maybe you should review you key and distribution.

And last again ;) What is your table definition? Multiplying the columns
famillies can also sometime lend to this kind of issues...

JM