HBase, mail # user - HBase and Hadoop 0.20-security-append

Re: HBase and Hadoop 0.20-security-append
Gary Helmling 2011-07-18, 17:23
Hi Claudio,

The Hadoop 0.20-security-append branch is what we're using to develop HBase
security features (since those need both Hadoop security and append).

It's a mashup of two different Apache Hadoop branches -- 0.20.203 for
security and 0.20-append for the append support.  To my knowledge there is
no Apache Hadoop 0.20 branch at the moment that incorporates both of these.
And it's seeming less likely that there will ever be an official Apache
Hadoop 0.20-based release that incorporates both.  Instead, for Apache
releases, it seems more likely that the best approach to running Hadoop
security+append in the future will be to use Hadoop 0.22 or 0.23, assuming
those keep progressing well towards actual release.

So my big word of warning is that no one that I know of is running the
0.20-security-append branch in or near production!  Of course I could be
wrong and others could be using it, but at the moment I would approach it
with appropriate caution.  For testing and experimentation it should be
fine, but no real guarantees beyond that.  If you do decide to take it up
and it works for you, that would of course be useful to know.

For production purposes internally, we're running a custom Hadoop build
based off of CDH3.

If you run into any problems getting things setup, let us know and we'll try
to help out.

Gary