HBase >> mail # user >> How well does HBase run on low/medium memory/cpu clusters?

How well does HBase run on low/medium memory/cpu clusters?
In looking at the AWS MapReduce version of HBase, it doesn't  even  give an
option to run it on lower end hardware.

I am considering HBase as an alternative to one large table we have in MySQL
which is causing problems. It's 50M rows, a pretty straight forward set of
product  items.

The challenge  is that I need to do 10+ range scans a day over about 7M
items each where we check for updates. This is ideal for HBase, but hell for
MySQL (a join of a 7M row table with a 50M row table is giving us
fits-a-plenty).

But beyond the daily range scans the actual workload on the boxes should be
reasonable, just random access reads. So it doesn't seem like I should need
significant memory/CPU requirements...

But here's where I don't find a lot of information - as  someone reasonably
new to HBase (I read a book, did the examples), am I missing anything in my
thinking?

David