Pig >> mail # dev >> Our release process

Re: Our release process
I am all for maintaining stability of branches, and the trunk, as everyone benefits from it.  But I do not think this means we should limit bug fixing in the branches to only critical issues.  As Pig gets more users we have more and more people on older branches who will want fixes for bugs without dealing with bigger version changes.  So I am not in favor of limiting checkins to branches to P1 issues.

What if we maintain stability on the branches by quickly reverting any patches that break the build, the unit tests, or the e2e tests?  This allows us to move forward with bug fix versions, it allows those who depend on branch stability (which I suspect is everyone in the distribution business plus everyone rolling their own Pig), and it should promote developer responsibility (no one likes having their patches reverted).

Alan.