Chukwa >> mail # dev >> What constitute a successful project?

Re: What constitute a successful project?

On Nov 27, 2012, at 12:08 AM, Eric Yang wrote:

> Apache is a non-profit organization.  If we restrict our thinking model to
> metrics of how many developers, and how many patches are committed in
> pre-defeined time limit.  There is no software that is gong to succeed in
> this evaluation other than commercial software.  Paid developers are
> contributing to the software that meeting cooperate interests at rapid
> pace, and smaller companies will work together until cooperate interests
> tear apart the software, or the funding eventually dry up and the software
> cease to exist, and the community will eventually fall apart.  Good
> software usually comes down to a few individuals who work hard to enable
> the community to flourish.  Many of the good software takes decades to
> develop from hobby projects.  I will accept the voting result from IPMC,
> and I wish IPMC would use better human sense to enable future project to
> flourish.

The ASF is not about code.  It's about community.  You cannot have a community of one.  There are many high quality software projects that are being developed by lone coders.  You'll find them on GitHub, SourceForge, etc.

> Chris Douglas resigned from mentor position, therefore, Chukwa will need a
> new mentor, and one of Chukwa contributor Sourygna Luangsay volunteer to be
> the motivator for Chukwa development if Chukwa is voted to stay for another
> 6 months.
Sourygna needs to step up and volunteer on his own.  But, to my mind, we have more than enough cheerleaders.  We need coders.  JMHO.
Regards,
Alan