Avro, mail # dev - Promote to string

Re: Promote to string
Philip Zeyliger 2011-02-04, 21:16
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Scott Carey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I have been thinking about more advanced type promotion in Avro after
> facing more complicated schema evolution issues.
My two cents:

This way lies madness.  Avro (and PB and Thrift) give you some basic tools
to evolve an API without doing much extra code.  At some point, you end up
forking and creating an APIv2, and eventually deprecate APIv1.  If you try
to make that magical, you'll end up building a programming language.

By all means define a language that converts from one Avro record into
another.  An Avro expression language would be quite useful, actually.
Putting it in the core, however, strikes me as feature creep.

-- Philip