Hive >> mail # user >> Changing table types from managed to external

Re: Changing table types from managed to external
Hi George,

You can save yourself one copying. Just create a new external table with
different name, fill it with data (either by copying or query like INSERT
OVERWRITE DIRECTORY '/new/table/path' SELECT * FROM oldtable), drop the old
one and then rename the new one to the desired name:

ALTER TABLE table_name RENAME TO new_table_name;

Best regards,
Jan