Drill, mail # dev - Optiq: Adding sugared syntax and allowing ANY in aggregate expressions...

Optiq: Adding sugared syntax and allowing ANY in aggregate expressions...
Jacques Nadeau 2013-08-09, 15:47
Sorry about the cross-post, wasn't sure where this discussion should go...

As I was working through issues with the SQL parser I had a couple of questions.

- I want to get started on adding sugared syntax for Apache Drill in
Optiq to get rid of the table._MAP['fieldname'] stuff and just make it
table.fieldname.  Any thoughts on the right way to approach this?  It
seems like a simple fix may be to just add the wrapper as a
preprocessing step before we go to the schema for all of Drill's
tables.

- Right now, I believe if you try to do an aggregate function against
an ANY type, you get an exception.  How can we make it so that Optiq
allows this and we throw the exception lower down only if we realize
that we can't aggregate once the type is materialized?

Thanks,
Jacques