HDFS, mail # dev - OSGi and classloaders

+
Guillaume Nodet 2012-07-09, 13:24
+
Robert Evans 2012-07-09, 14:37
+
Guillaume Nodet 2012-07-09, 15:04
Re: OSGi and classloaders
Robert Evans 2012-07-09, 18:13
Guillaume,

The problem with Configuration is that it is public, so changing it does
not just impact Hadoop.  It also impacts all of the projects that use it,
either directly as part of the Map/Reduce APIs or for storing their own
configuration.  Within Hadoop proper there are several places where it
cannot just be static.  For Map Reduce a Configuration object is created
for each Map/Reduce job.  So from a client's perspective it may have
multiple different instances of Configuration in flight at any point in
time, one for each job.  HDFS also support this having multiple separate
configurations in the client simultaneously.

For some things processes like the NameNode, DataNode and the
ResourceManager you may be able to get away with a single static
configuration, but from the clients perspective that may be difficult.  I
am not really sure about the NodeManger, because it interacts with HDFS on
behalf of the end user and I am not completely sure how Configuration fits
into that picture.

--Bobby Evans

+
Owen OMalley 2012-07-09, 18:30