HDFS >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-3077 (QuorumJournalManager) branch to trunk

+
sanjay Radia 2012-09-28, 19:06
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-09-28, 22:02
+
sanjay Radia 2012-10-01, 17:55
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-10-09, 00:46
+
Suresh Srinivas 2012-10-09, 01:01
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-10-09, 01:20
+
Suresh Srinivas 2012-10-09, 02:21
+
Eli Collins 2012-10-09, 04:11
+
sanjay Radia 2012-10-09, 20:44
+
sanjay Radia 2012-10-11, 02:17
+
Suresh Srinivas 2012-10-11, 04:10
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-10-11, 08:12
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-10-09, 03:03
+
Suresh Srinivas 2012-10-09, 03:32
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-10-09, 03:09
+
Eli Collins 2012-10-09, 01:48
+
sanjay Radia 2012-09-28, 19:03
+
Stack 2012-09-27, 16:59
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-09-27, 20:29
Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-3077 (QuorumJournalManager) branch to trunk
I am in favor of keeping QJM in HDFS.

QJM is very specific to HDFS and is tightly coupled with HDFS code,
essentially extending the current editlog functionality that writes to
local disk to writing to a separate set of daemons. Clearly there is a need
for this in HDFS. Konstantin, I see your point that it brings in
complexity. To certain extent this complexity cannot be avoided given the
goals and the feature set. Additionally people can chose not to use this
optional functionality and avoid the complexity it brings both in terms
more involved journaling mechanism and management of additional set of
daemons it introduces.

In future, we could chose to make this generic enough or standardise the
HDFS interfaces/code that it depends on and perhaps spin it off as another
project. Also if this is complex and error prone, perhaps we could simplify
the functionality or even replace it. But for now I feel it belongs to HDFS.

http://hortonworks.com/download/
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-09-27, 09:29