Hive >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive

+
Alan Gates 2012-11-02, 20:52
Re: [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive
I like the idea of Hcatalog becoming a Hive sub-project. The
enhancements/bugs in the serde/metastore areas can indirectly
benefit the hive community, and it will be easier for the fix to be in one
place. Having said that, I don't see serde/metastore
moving out of hive into a separate component. Things are tied too closely
together. I am assuming that no new committers would
be automatically added to Hive as part of this, and both Hive and HCatalog
will continue to have its own committers.

Thanks,
-namit
On 11/3/12 2:22 AM, "Alan Gates" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello Hive community.  It is time for HCatalog to graduate from the
>Apache Incubator.  Given the heavy dependence of HCatalog on Hive the
>HCatalog community agreed it made sense to explore graduating from the
>Incubator to become a subproject of Hive (see
>http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-hcatalog-user/201209.mb
>ox/%3C08C40723-8D4D-48EB-942B-8EE4327DD84A%40hortonworks.com%3E and
>http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-hcatalog-user/201210.mb
>ox/%3CCABN7xTCRM5wXGgJKEko0PmqDXhuAYpK%2BD-H57T29zcSGhkwGQw%40mail.gmail.c
>om%3E ).  To help both communities understand what HCatalog is and hopes
>to become we also developed a roadmap that summarizes HCatalog's current
>features, planned features, and other possible features under discussion:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HCATALOG/HCatalog+Roadmap
>
>So we are now approaching you to see if there is agreement in the Hive
>community that HCatalog graduating into Hive would make sense.
>
>Alan.
+
Alan Gates 2012-11-06, 17:55
+