MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Release numbering for branch-2 releases

+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-29, 20:56
+
Stack 2013-01-31, 05:25
Re: Release numbering for branch-2 releases
Stack,

On Jan 30, 2013, at 9:25 PM, Stack wrote:

> I find the above opaque and written in a cryptic language that I might grok
> if I spent a day or two running over cited issues trying to make some
> distillation of the esotericia debated therein.  If you want feedback from
> other than the cognescenti, I would suggest a better summation of what all
> is involved.
I apologize if there was too much technical details.

The simplified version is that hadoop-2 isn't baked as it stands today, and is not viable to be supported by this community in a stable manner. In particular, it is due to the move to PB for HDFS protocols and the freshly minted YARN apis/protocols. As a result, we have been forced to make (incompatible) changes in every hadoop-2 release so far (2.0.0, 2.0.2 etc.). Since we released the previous bits we have found security issues, bugs and other issues which will cause long-term maintenance harm (details are in the HADOOP/HDFS/YARN jiras in the original email).

My aim, as the RM, is to try nudge (nay, force) all contributors to spend time over the next couple of months focussing on fixing known issues and to look for other surprises - this way I hope to ensure we do not have further incompatible changes for downstream projects and we can support hadoop-2 for at least a couple of years. I hope this makes sense to you. I don't think turning around and calling these 3.x or 4.x makes things better since no amount of numbering lipstick will make the software better or viable for the long-term for both users and other projects. Worse, it will force HBase and other projects to deal with *even more* major Hadoop releases... which seems like a royal pita.

I hope that clarifies things. Thanks Stack.

Arun
+
Stack 2013-02-01, 20:35
+
Tom White 2013-02-01, 10:34
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-01, 18:52
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-02-04, 18:46
+
Stack 2013-02-04, 19:53
+
Owen OMalley 2013-02-04, 21:07
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-04, 22:14
+
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-04, 22:36
+
Steve Loughran 2013-02-05, 04:50
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-04, 19:20
+
Eli Collins 2013-01-31, 00:21
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-31, 01:10
+
Eli Collins 2013-01-31, 19:51
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-29, 22:40
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-01-30, 23:32
+
Tom White 2013-02-01, 11:03
+
Stack 2013-02-03, 03:00