MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Release numbering for branch-2 releases

+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-29, 20:56
+
Stack 2013-01-31, 05:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-31, 20:12
+
Stack 2013-02-01, 20:35
+
Tom White 2013-02-01, 10:34
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-01, 18:52
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-02-04, 18:46
+
Stack 2013-02-04, 19:53
+
Owen OMalley 2013-02-04, 21:07
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-04, 22:14
+
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-04, 22:36
+
Steve Loughran 2013-02-05, 04:50
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-04, 19:20
+
Eli Collins 2013-01-31, 00:21
Re: Release numbering for branch-2 releases
The discussions in HADOOP-9151 were related to wire-compatibility. I think we all agree that breaking API compatibility is not allowed without deprecating them first in a prior major release - this is something we have followed since hadoop-0.1.

I agree we need to spell out what changes we can and cannot do *after* we go GA, for e.g.:
# Clearly incompatible *API* changes are *not* allowed in hadoop-2 post-GA.
# Do we allow incompatible changes on Client-Server protocols? I would say *no*.
# Do we allow incompatible changes on internal-server protocols (for e.g. NN-DN or NN-NN in HA setup or RM-NM in YARN) to ensure we support rolling-upgrades? I would like to not allow this, but I do not know how feasible this is. An option is to allow these changes between minor releases i.e. between hadoop-2.10 and hadoop-2.11.
# Do we allow changes which force a HDFS metadata upgrade between a minor upgrade i.e. hadoop-2.20 to hadoop-2.21?
# Clearly *no* incompatible changes (API/client-server/server-server) changes are allowed in a patch release i.e. hadoop-2.20.0 and hadoop-2.20.1 have to be compatible among all respects.

What else am I missing?

I'll make sure we update our Roadmap wiki and other docs post this discussion.

thanks,
Arun

On Jan 30, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> Thanks for bringing this up Arun.  One of the issues is that we
> haven't been clear about what type of compatibility breakages are
> allowed, and which are not.  For example, renaming FileSystem#open is
> incompatible, and not OK, regardless of the alpha/beta tag.  Breaking
> a server/server APIs is OK pre-GA but probably not post GA, at least
> in a point release, or required for a security fix, etc.
> Configuration, data format, environment variable, changes etc can all
> be similarly incompatible. The issue we had in HADOOP-9151 was someone
> claimed it is not an incompatible change because it doesn't break API
> compatibility even though it breaks wire compatibility. So let's be
> clear about the types of incompatibility we are or are not permitting.
> For example, will it be OK to merge a change before 2.2.0-beta that
> requires an HDFS metadata upgrade? Or breaks client server wire
> compatibility?  I've been assuming that changing an API annotated
> Public/Stable still requires multiple major releases (one to deprecate
> and one to remove), does the alpha label change that? To some people
> the "alpha", "beta" label implies instability in terms of
> quality/features, while to others it means unstable APIs (and to some
> both) so it would be good to spell that out. In short, agree that we
> really need to figure out what changes are permitted in what releases,
> and we should update the docs accordingly (there's a start here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap).
>
> Note that the 2.0.0 alpha release vote thread was clear that we
> thought were all in agreement that we'd like to keep client/server
> compatible post 2.0 - and there was no push back. We pulled a number
> of jiras into the 2.0 release explicitly so that we could preserve
> client/server compatibility going forward.  Here's the relevant part
> of the thread as a refresher: http://s.apache.org/gQ
>
> "2) HADOOP-8285 and HADOOP-8366 changed the wire format for the RPC
> envelope in branch-2, but didn't make it into this rc. So, that would
> mean that future alphas would not be protocol-compatible with this
> alpha. Per a discussion a few weeks ago, I think we all were in
> agreement that, if possible, we'd like all 2.x to be compatible for
> client-server communication, at least (even if we don't support
> cross-version for the intra-cluster protocols)"
>
> Thanks,
> Eli
>
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Folks,

> [...]

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/
+
Eli Collins 2013-01-31, 19:51
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-29, 22:40
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-01-30, 23:32
+
Tom White 2013-02-01, 11:03
+
Stack 2013-02-03, 03:00