MapReduce >> mail # dev >> API Design: getClusterMetrics

API Design: getClusterMetrics
Hello
(sorry for cross post)
I am reading the DistributedShell code and came across

 GetClusterMetricsRequest clusterMetricsReq Records.newRecord(GetClusterMetricsRequest.class);
 GetClusterMetricsResponse clusterMetricsResp applicationsManager.getClusterMetrics(clusterMetricsReq);

In the page: http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/yarn/api/ClientRMProtocol.html#getClusterMetrics%28org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.protocolrecords.GetClusterMetricsRequest%29

I can't find any other function getClusterMetrics.

Why was the choice made to pass a GetClusterMetricsRequest object to
getClusterMetrics?
why couldn't the programmer invoke
applicationsManager.getClusterMetrics() and the method would reply
with a GetClusterMetricsResponse?

Regards
Sapsi
(P.S I havent used YARN or even written code with it, i'm just reading
some sources and my reading is incomplete, so apologies if this comes
across
as stupid)
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2012-10-10, 19:47
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-10, 14:30