Drill, mail # dev - Fwd: About a paper titiled "Memory-Efficient GroupBy-Aggregate using Compressed Buffer Trees"

Fwd: About a paper titiled "Memory-Efficient GroupBy-Aggregate using Compressed Buffer Trees"
Timothy Chen 2013-09-04, 02:59
Saw this in the Spark dev list and thought it's appropriate here as well.

Tim

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lijie Xu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Subject: About a paper titiled "Memory-Efficient GroupBy-Aggregate using
Compressed Buffer Trees"
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hi, all. I noticed a paper called "Memory-Efficient GroupBy-Aggregate using
Compressed Buffer Trees" in SoCC 2013 accepted list yesterday. Check out
http://www.socc2013.org/papers.

The detailed paper can be found here (
http://www.cercs.gatech.edu/tech-reports/tr2012/git-cercs-12-08.pdf) and
there are simplified slides (
http://www.cercs.gatech.edu/iab13/material/amur.pdf).

It argues another GroupBy-Aggregate approach which is different with
MapReduce's Sort and Spark's hash-based aggregatation.

It seems a new way but I cannot understand the pros and cons of this
approach.

Any comments and discussion are welcome.