Bigtop >> mail # user >> "bigpetstore" another idea that i forgot to mention which might fit into bigtop.

+
Jay Vyas 2013-09-19, 21:19
Re: "bigpetstore" another idea that i forgot to mention which might fit into bigtop.
On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Jay Vyas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey bigtop:
>
> Another idea, which i have been toying with for some time - is the idea of
> implementing the old hibernate/ibatis app "jpetstore" for hadoop.

I think providing example would be very nice. I honestly think that
perhaps the best place to start would be in Hue, though. Hue already
comes with simple toy example for things like Hive/Pig workflows, etc.

Take a look at those.

> I think bigtop might be a good template for this, but not sure if it should
> go in bigtop itself : i.e.  put an entire bigdata workflow into bigtop as an
> example/template for people to better comprehend how mapreduce ETL plays
> with adhoc analytics (HIVE/PIG) , and how machine learning (mahout etc)
> finally interact with end sinks (hbase). etc...

Ah! That actually goes beyond examples and would also be quite appreciated.
I'd call those 'Bigdata pipelines blueprints'. There I would encourage folks
to approach it from the Oozie perspective. That's what most of the
heavyweight Hadoop users seems to be doing -- they've got those complex
pipelines with ingest coming from the Flume side of things, batch managed
by Oozie and analytic being provided by Hive/Pig/Spark and most recently Solr.

> Not sure if this is in the scope of bigtop but i think, for people getting
> into the hadoop ecosystem and useing bigtop as a venue to do so, an example
> app of this sort might be particularly useful.
>
> Apologies is this is off scope of bigtop but let me know!

Personally I think Bigtop is a really good place for these types of blueprints
to be developed and tested.

Thanks,
Roman.
+