Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Combine MapReduce/HDFS Committers

Re: [VOTE] Combine MapReduce/HDFS Committers
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Tom White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Didn't you vote +1 too? (If I recall correctly from the discussion.)

At the start of the discussion I was leaning toward a +1, but elected
to abstain from the vote as I read the responses. I didn't add an
explicit +/-0, as I'd already added all the content I had in the
discussion thread, and would only repeat myself. Since you ask:

Vinod's point, i.e. "Where are the HDFS + MR issues?" gave me pause.
There really aren't that many. The only exception I can think of are
the RAID JIRAs, which aren't MR issues. Removing contrib is a better
fix. The projects really are separating, and I expect this will become
clearer as we cut more releases. If not, we should revisit this topic.

After these votes, "Hadoop committers" are defined as PMC members, or
contributors who independently earn commit status in both projects.
Most members of the current PMC required about two years of full-time
work in Hadoop before they were added. That's unusually steep, and the
reason I didn't vote -1.

There's a lack of data that makes this ambivalence hard to resolve.
The arguments in favor are too abstract (trust, coherency, etc.) to
make a definitive statements about the cost of separate lists.
Examples of the form, "I tried to do X, but was prevented and it
caused a costly, bureaucratic detour that took N days to resolve" (as
Vinod provided for lacking access to Common) are persuasive to me.
Hypothetical contributors that might be prevented from trying
something are compelling, but less so. I'd like to get more experience
working and releasing before I vote one way or the other. -C