Hive, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive

Re: [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive
Ashish Thusoo 2012-12-20, 23:53
hmm... why is this considered "preferential treatment"?

All the work for HCat is in the public domain so we can really evaluate
whether they have been following apache practices - the fact that they are
graduating from the incubator would seem to indicate that they have been
doing so. If this code base is contributed back to Hive, is that not
counted as a significant contribution to Hive? I am failing to understand
on what count they don't qualify to be committers.

Plus if it is too onerous to enforce committer privileges on selective
parts (is there a way?) of the project, then what do terms like Hive
committer, HCat committer mean? Also should Hive committers have privileges
to commit into HCat part of the code once it becomes a subproject. I think
we are just creating walls and the problem with walls is that they just
impede cross pollination and community expansion.

Ashish