HBase, mail # user - Re: row filter - binary comparator at certain range

RE: row filter - binary comparator at certain range
Vladimir Rodionov 2013-10-21, 16:50
James, good to hear that Phoenix supports these features.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: James Taylor [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2013 9:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: row filter - binary comparator at certain range

Phoenix restricts salting to a single byte.
Salting perhaps is misnamed, as the salt byte is a stable hash based on the
row key.
Phoenix's skip scan supports sub-key ranges.
We've found salting in general to be faster (though there are cases where
it's not), as it ensures better parallelization.

Regards,
James

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Vladimir Rodionov
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> FuzzyRowFilter does not work on sub-key ranges.
> Salting is bad for any scan operation, unfortunately. When salt prefix
> cardinality is small (1-2 bytes),
> one can try something similar to FuzzyRowFilter but with additional
> sub-key range support.
> If salt prefix cardinality is high (> 2 bytes) - do a full scan with your
> own Filter (for timestamp ranges).
>
> Best regards,
> Vladimir Rodionov
> Principal Platform Engineer
> Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or [EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.