HBase, mail # dev - 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues
Enis Söztutar 2013-04-03, 00:59
Hi devs,

We(HWX) had some discussions with Stack this morning about the eventual
0.96 release, and 0.95 stuff. Having 0.96 out sooner rather than later is
becoming crucial as time passes. We've talked about some of the significant
work items, and what areas to focus on.

Some of the notes are:

 - HBASE-8015. Support for Namespaces (Francis owns it, and the patch looks
mostly done. We should get this in since this is the singularity)
 - HBASE-7999 Add 'system' tables (this may turn into just adding a system
namespace, and be done with it. Depends on HBASE-8015. )
 - HBASE-8093. Change the META name (can be done together as a part of
HBASE-8015, HBASE-7999)
 - HBASE-3787 Increment is non-idempotent but client retries RPC. Nonce
issue (idempotent) -> critical, Enis or Sergey will work on this.
 - Tarball, maven -> Enis, Giri, Nick, Stack
 - Jeffrey's log replay patch (It allows 2sec recovery for accepting writes
for regions. We can get this in disabled by default, and keep both
distributed log splitting, and log replay. In 96, we can make it rock solid
afterwards)
 - Region locality fixes hbase-7932/7942 (Devaraj says that he was able to
convince the hdfs guys to accept the patch.)
 - IPC review (DD, Stack)
 - Cell stuff review
 - Cell support in Filters etc. -> These are important but no blockers,
maybe we can defer them to 1.0.
 - HBASE-7897 Add support for tags to Cell Interface
 - MTTR -> non blocker. The more we have the better
 - Formal hadoop2 support -> DD, Ted, Nick, hadoop-2.0.4-alpha issue.
 - prefix-tree module, storage module, mapred? -> Enis push for decision
here.
 - HBASE-7704. migration tool that checks presence of HFile V1 files.
(Stack)
 - Snapshots, any work left? -> Ted will review
 - HBASE-8045. Fix .META. migration after HBASE-3171 (Stack)
 - IO fencing, write compactions to hlog (Stack spend some time on this,
pretty important)
 - Unit test fixes
 - How are we going to test this

Kudos to Stack for driving the first RC for 0.95. He says that he wants to
do 2-week release cycles, and at some point, we can just label 0.95.x as
the 0.96.0 release.

We'll also go over the issues and re-kindle the discussions, re-assign,
bump to 0.95.1 etc.

Most of these have been discussed in the issues, or elsewhere, but we would
love your input/help on these. Any more issues, that should be/should not
be blockers for 0.96? Any issues that has to go with the singularity?

Enis
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-04-03, 01:20
+