HBase >> mail # user >> Bulkload into empty table with configureIncrementalLoad()

Re: Bulkload into empty table with configureIncrementalLoad()
To follow up on my previous question about how best to do the pre-splits, I
ended up using to following when creating my table:

    admin.createTable(desc, Bytes.toBytes(0), Bytes.toBytes(2147483647),
100);

This was somewhat of a stab in the dark, but I based it
on RegionSplitter.MD5StringSplit's documentation, which said: Row are long
values in the range "00000000" => "7FFFFFFF". (Reminder: I'm using strings,
probably not uniformly distributed, as my row ID's).

It looks like about 80 of the regions received very little keys (many
received 0), and the other 20 received between 35m - 70m each.  Glancing at
the nodes responsible for the 20 popular regions, it looks like a fairly
even distribution across my cluster, so overall I'm optimistic with the
result (performance at first glance seems fine too).

Question: is there something I can do to achieve an even better
distribution across my regions?  As mentioned before, I have a table that I
populated via puts, so maybe this can be used to guide my pre-splits?  I
did try passing the result of this table's HTable.getStartKeys() (as well
as getEndKeys()) in as the splits, but got an error along the lines of "key
cannot be empty".

Thanks again for your help.

-Dolan Antenucci