Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Contributions from github pull requests and license grant

+
Sean Busbey 2013-10-15, 19:50
+
Josh Elser 2013-10-15, 20:03
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-10-15, 20:08
Re: Contributions from github pull requests and license grant
Oops, sorry [1].

All of these links still say that you explicitly need to check a box
assigning license to the ASF.  That is not actually true: any code
submitted through ASF infrastructure is assumed to have license assigned to
the ASF, and the checkbox used to exist as a way not to assign license.
The checkbox no longer exists.  Anyway, I haven't seen any guidance yet
that says we can accept pull requests without the contents of the patch
also being attached to a ticket.

[1]:
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/developers-guide/github-contributions.html
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Billie Rinaldi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Here [1] is another data point.
>

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> We should probably be ensuring that we have something stating that the
>> contributor is assigning license to the ASF. I remember talking about this,
>> but I don't recall the outcome (will have to search history).
>>
>> I'm not sure if there are specific steps that need to be formally
>> followed or if the contributor stating the above on a Jira issue is
>> sufficient.
>>

>> On 10/15/13 3:50 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
>>
>>> I don't recall a discussion happening about granting license to the ASF
>>> when the repo moved to git. Looking at the git workflow guide[1], I don't
>>> see any mention of licensing.
>>>
>>> In other projects (e.g. Avro[2] and Hive[3]) assigning license to the ASF
>>> is an important part of submitting a contribution. In those projects,
>>> people are instructed to attach their patches to an open jira so that
>>> license can be granted; pull requests from github generally aren't
>>> allowed.
>>>
>>> Do we have a stance as a project on this? I think those two projects
>>> basically say that the grant is required by the Apache License itself.
>>> Are
>>> there ASF rules that can provide guidance on this?
>>>
>>> -Sean
>>>
>>> [1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/**git.html<http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html>
>>> [2]:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/AVRO/How+**