Hive >> mail # dev >> RFC: Major HCatalog refactoring

Re: RFC: Major HCatalog refactoring
>> not quite double but close  (on my Mac that means it will go up from 35
>> minutes to 55-60) so in greater scheme of things it should be negligible

Can't we make the classes extend each other, and just test them once. Or
test them once before the patch and only include half the tests in the
final commit?

Using tests to guarantee backwards compact-ability for end users at the
expense of making our test process longer is not a good option. I am not
sure anyone realizes the scope of this, but apache's build servers are
constantly spinning trying to run our tests, for multiple branches of
hadoop. We also have build farm volunteered to us just so we can commit
features in a reasonable time frame.
We have to run every test before we commit so just sloshing on an extra 20
minutes of testing hurts our agility. I think we need to come up with a
better option.