Accumulo, mail # dev - Gitflow

Re: Gitflow
Steve Loughran 2013-10-14, 09:32
I've been playing with gitflow on our Hoya tool to start HBase or Accumulo
on YARN

pro:
 -it provides a cleaner history of what's going on
 -release process seems good
 -good for hotfixes when and how they got merged into develop and master
 -it becomes a consistent workflow for multiple projects
 -tool support, both command line and Atlassian Source tree

Con
 -all the gitflow diagrams show perfect isolation of feature branches until
merge time. If you really do isolate yourself from the core dev stream then
your merge costs are higher/more traumatic
 -making a non-feature related change while you are working on a feature
becomes complex. You can switch to develop, create a new feature branch,
complete that, & merge it in -but how to get it back into your original
feature branch? Either you merge in that feature direct, or you merge the
whole of develop in.

Isolating yourself from trunk dev for any length of time on an active
project is dangerous because you slowly diverge. You can always merge
--rebase if you are developing in private, but the moment you share that
branch for others, you can't rebase any more.

I can't see how to effectively use gitflow to work on features while
tracking develop without creating far messier commit graph than it ever
looks

Then there's the problem of feature-on-feature when you want to separate
two bits of work at commit time, but which you are trying to co-dev purely
because they are related.

-steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE