Hive, mail # user - Read-only users in Hive

+
Oscar Gothberg 2010-01-14, 06:49
+
Amr Awadallah 2010-01-20, 07:40
+
Oscar Gothberg 2010-01-21, 05:29
Re: Read-only users in Hive
Amr Awadallah 2010-01-21, 09:22
Though that will protect the files, it won't protect the schema (e.g.
the read-only users will still be able to drop the table).

-- amr

On 1/20/2010 9:29 PM, Oscar Gothberg wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I realized this could also be managed, albeit still clumsily, through
> user/group read/write permissions for the Hive warehouse directory.
>
> / Oscar
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Amr Awadallah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     HIVE-78 is what we all are waiting for :)
>
>     The hack you suggest below should be a valid interim solution,
>     just make sure the read-only clients have their own hive-site.xml
>     with the proper user/pass for the read only account, e.g.
>
>     <property>
>     <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName</name>
>     <value>read-only-user</value>
>     </property>
>
>     <property>
>     <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword</name>
>     <value>xxxxx</value>
>     </property>
>
>     see this for more details:
>
>     http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/AdminManual/MetastoreAdmin
>
>     -- amr
>

>     On 1/13/2010 10:49 PM, Oscar Gothberg wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         is there a way to set up users with read-only users in Hive,
>         so that I can have one user with write privileges that runs
>         ETL and updates the warehouse, adds partitions, etc, and one
>         or more 'read-only' users that would be able to execute
>         SELECTs, etc, but not DDL type statements?
>
>         I'd be interested how others out there solve having separation
>         between producers that feed and update the data warehouse one
>         one hand, and the consumers on the other.
>
>         From what I understand Hive doesn't have a lot of multiuser
>         support yet (as described in HIVE-78 etc). Maybe one
>         possibility could be to have 'read-only' users use a different
>         account in the mysql metastore without write privileges, and
>         have any DDL statements from such users fail due to metastore
>         errors, but hopefully there's a cleaner way?
>
>         Thanks,
>         / Oscar

+
Oscar Gothberg 2010-01-21, 17:40