Avro >> mail # dev >> Forward Declaration

+
Thomas Dressel 2013-06-24, 13:40
Re: Forward Declaration
Hi Thomas Dressel,

Is it possible to elaborate on what you mean by "forward declaration"? I'm aware of one usage of the term in C and C++ where instead of exposing the full definition of a function, data or class you expose just its declaration and then supply the full definition later. Here is an example with class declaration:

class X;

class Y {
public:
    X* x;
};

class X {
public:
    Y *y;
};

This is the only way to handle circular references between classes X and Y. But I don't understand its reference to Avro.

Still better, can you give a small example of what you are trying to do?

Thank you,

Thiru