HBase, mail # user - Thread safety of Bytes.compareTo(byte[] left, byte[] right)

Thread safety of Bytes.compareTo(byte[] left, byte[] right)
anil gupta 2013-10-10, 06:56
Hi All,

I have to use
 *Bytes.compareTo<http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/util/Bytes.html#compareTo%28byte[],%20byte[]%29>
*(byte[] left, byte[] right) method in one of my coprocessor(HBASE-7474)
stuff. Basically, i want to do comparison on the basis of Lexicographical
order of byte[] of cell value. Similar to BinaryComparator in HBase.

Since, *Bytes.compareTo<http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/util/Bytes.html#compareTo%28byte[],%20byte[]%29>
*(byte[] left, byte[] right) is static method and it doesnt have any
synchronization. How do we guarantee that this method is thread safe? I am
curious to know is it safe to use the static method on
RegionServer(multithreaded environment)?

Please correct me if i stated something wrong above.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta