HBase >> mail # dev >> Disable flaky tests, and let Jenkin stay blue?

Re: Disable flaky tests, and let Jenkin stay blue?
I'm between +0 and -0.5
+0 because I like green status. They help to detect regression.

-0.5 because
   - If we can't afford to fix it now I guess it won't be fixed in the
future:  we will continue to keep it in the codebase (i.e. paying the cost
of updating it when we change an interface), but without any added value as
we don't run it.
   - some tests failures are actually issues in the main source code. Ok,
they're often minor, but still they are issues. Last example I have is from
today: the one found by Jeff related HBASE-8204.
    - and sometimes it shows lacks in the way we test (for example, the
waitFor stuff, while quite obvious in a way, was added only very recently).
    - often a flaky test is better than no test at all: they can still
detect regressions.
    - I also don't understand why the precommit seems to be now better than
the main build.

For me, doing it in a case by case way would be simpler (using the
component owners: it a test on a given component is flaky, the decision can
be taken between the people who want to remove the test and the component
owners, with a jira, an analysis and a traced decision)

Cheers,

Nicolas