Drill >> mail # dev >> RC3 Vote: Third time's the charm?

+
Jacques Nadeau 2013-09-06, 20:11
+
Grant Ingersoll 2013-09-09, 14:28
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-07, 17:00
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-08, 04:37
+
Jacques Nadeau 2013-09-08, 05:14
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-08, 05:43
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-08, 06:04
+
Jacques Nadeau 2013-09-08, 17:03
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-08, 20:17
+
Isabel Drost-Fromm 2013-09-09, 14:33
+
Jacques Nadeau 2013-09-09, 16:11
+
Jason Altekruse 2013-09-10, 02:57
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-09, 18:07
Re: RC3 Vote: Third time's the charm?
Sounds good to me.  I like it.

On Sep 9, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Ted Dunning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Jacques Nadeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> * per your question about versioning, the idea behind the milestone
>> versioning was along the following, all working towards a 1.0.0 release:
>> 3-7 milestone releases (we're currently at milestone 1), 1-2 beta releases,
>> GA.
>>

> I would like to amplify this point just a bit.
>
> There is a tradition in Apache to start with 0.0 or 0.1 and work up to a
> 1.0 release.  The problem here is that the Drill audience is likely to come
> largely from the Hadoop world and in that world, the culture around 0.1
> style versions has been pretty irretrievably poisoned by the multi-year
> kerfuffle about what 1.0 really means.  The result has been massive user
> confusion due to non-monotonic release versions and inconsistent planning.
>
> Jacques is trying to appeal more to the JBOSS culture in which releases are
> numbered according to the goal of a release.  The goal here is progress
> towards 1.0.  The goal here is *not* to make indeterminate process against
> an indeterminate goal.
>
> So the proposed release number that Jacques has suggested here *is* a
> departure from the recent Hadoop and Hadoop related release style, but that
> departure is itself a strong statement that Drill is departing from that
> project style and is focussing on building a viable tool quickly and
> directly.
>
> I certainly can see both sides of this, but I certainly endorse whole
> heartedly the desire to leave behind anything that hints the political
> morass in which other Hadoop related projects have found themselves enmired.
+
Ashish 2013-09-09, 03:55
+
Ashish 2013-09-09, 06:21