Accumulo, mail # dev - JIRA Patch Conventions

JIRA Patch Conventions
Mike Drob 2013-04-24, 03:51
Accumulo Devs,

Are there any conventions that we'd like to follow for attaching updated
patches to issues? There are two lines of thought applicable here:

1) Remove the old one and attach the new patch. This has the advantage of
being immediately obvious to future google searchers what the patch was,
especially in case of back porting issues.
2) Leave all patches attached to the ticket, and use a one-up identifier
for each subsequent patch. This preserves context from comments, and might
be useful in other ways.

I've seen both approaches used on Accumulo tickets, and don't have a strong
preference outside of a desire for consistency. I think I'd lean towards
option #2, if only because that means I get one fewer email notification.

As an aside, what is the IP status of submitted patches? I think I remember
hearing that they immediately become part of the Apache Foundation, so
removing them might be a bad idea from that perspective.

Mike