Hadoop >> mail # general >> Release plans

Re: Release plans
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Owen O'Malley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yahoo doesn't care. Even if we rebase the 0.21 branch, because of the
> timing, Yahoo will probably never deploy it. (It take months to push a
> release through QA and production testing, as I wrote the security release
> will hit the pipeline this year (code complete in february, first
> integration cluster in april, on all production clusters by august). Yahoo
> can't handle another big release until january 2011.

I haven't done a survey but my guess is that the HBase crew would
favor putting out the current 0.21 branch as 0.21 rather than
rebasing.  To us, hdfs and its flush, in testing, runs great.  I'm
with Konstantin and Sanjay that a release is pretty close and that a
rebasing pulling in new features means more months even allowing for
the Todd stabilizing constant.

If the project is not getting any heavy-duty Y!-fu till ~January 2011,
that sounds like hadoop 0.23 time, rather than 0.22, to me, that is if
we want to get the project back on 6-month cycles again (> 1 year
between major releases ain't healthy).

St.Ack