HBase, mail # dev - [UPDATE] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

+
Stack 2013-07-27, 21:52
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-28, 18:14
+
Stack 2013-07-28, 23:01
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-29, 00:43
+
Stack 2013-07-29, 15:16
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-29, 15:45
+
Stack 2013-07-29, 17:26
+
Elliott Clark 2013-07-29, 17:51
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-29, 18:43
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-29, 18:50
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-07-30, 01:46
+
Ted Yu 2013-07-30, 04:23
+
Stack 2013-07-30, 04:47
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-07-29, 18:37
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 02:02
+
Stack 2013-07-30, 03:44
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 04:11
+
Elliott Clark 2013-07-30, 04:51
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 05:16
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-07-30, 20:55
+
Elliott Clark 2013-07-30, 21:37
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 22:29
+
Elliott Clark 2013-07-30, 23:08
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 23:53
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-07-30, 22:28
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-07-31, 00:39
+
James Taylor 2013-07-31, 03:20
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-07-31, 04:11
+
James Taylor 2013-07-31, 04:38
Nick Dimiduk 2013-07-31, 16:55
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM, James Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> So row key order won't match the natural sort order?

With the "Legacy" types that are based on Bytes, you get whatever you get.
Strings and pass-through byte[]'s work like normal; positive integers will
work, but not negatives; &c. HBase would not ship out-of-the-box with
general purpose order-preserving types, but you'd have the API and be able
to implement your own.
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Nick Dimiduk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM, James Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > What's the functionality that we'll lose without the order-preserving
> > part
> > > being included?
> > >

> > Well, order preservation ;) Lacking 8201, we'd get all the existing Bytes
> > goodness but wrapped up in 8693's API. The framework is laid for other
> > HBase components, user applications, and downstream projects to start
> > building on it immediately. I'd like to start pluming it into some new
> > Filters, a couple of the MapReduce tools, Hive's interop layer, maybe
> even
> > replace PDataType with DataType if you're open to such a patch. The
> > OrderedBytes stuff will require applications to have a plan for data
> > migration when they decide to transition over to it, but they can get a
> > head-start on the boiler-plate code.

> > > HFiles
> > LB,
> > > assignment,