Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5

Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5

On May 9, 2013, at 10:03 PM, Uma Maheswara Rao G wrote:

>  Adding new features really a great thing and surely each big feature can be included in one one major release as well.
Surely the one thing we have learnt over the last 4-5 years in this project is that we cannot make too many major releases. Notice how long hadoop-0.20/hadoop-1 lives; the same will happen with hadoop-2.x. Look at Bobby's message on this thread on *-dev lists:

>>> Up to this point we have almost successfully done this switch once, from 1.0 to 2.0. I have a hard time believing that we are going to do this again for another 5 years.

Each major release is a *lot* of work and is, subsequently, an opportunity where incompatibilities at various levels creep in - our users are not well served by this.

So, it's a  fallacy that we can and should make major releases per feature.

Arun