Zookeeper, mail # user - determining zookeeper capacity requirements

determining zookeeper capacity requirements
Ian Kallen 2012-12-05, 21:10
We have an ensemble of three servers and have observed varying
latencies, watches that seemingly don't get fired on the client and
other operational issues. Here are the current # connections/watches:

shell$ for i in 1 2 3; do echo wchs | nc zoo-ensemble$i 2181; done

198 connections watching 174 paths
Total watches:1914
41 connections watching 126 paths
Total watches:1010
50 connections watching 143 paths
Total watches:952

I don't know if we should be concerned with the number of watches is
in the thousands (or be concerned that zoo-ensemble1 is handling ~
same number of watches as 2 & 3 combined). Should we be tuning the JVM
in any particular way according to the number of watches? From a
capacity planning standpoint, what metrics and guidelines should we be
observing before we split our tree into separate ensembles or grow the
current ensemble?

thanks,
-Ian
+