Avro >> mail # user >> Doc strings in IDL not working

Doc strings in IDL not working
Hi,

I'm trying to use the velocity templates to extract doc strings from the
IDL using my own SpecificCompiler.  The IDL file looks like this...

/** class=@AccessControl(group="normal") */
@namespace("com.aol.interfaces.echo")
protocol EchoService {

     import idl "Errors.avdl";

     /** Message structure for the echo service */
     record Message {
         /** the string to be echo'd */
         string echome;
         map<string> echoes;
     }

     /** method=@AccessControl(source="MyService") */
     string echoString(string msg) throws
com.aol.interfaces.error.ServiceError;
     Message echoMessage(Message msg) throws
com.aol.interfaces.error.ServiceError;

     void publishMessage(string msg) oneway;
}

I expected based on AVRO-296
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-296) being part of 1.5.1
that I should be able to get the doc strings from the parsed IDL.
However, this doesn't appear to be working. In looking at the source
code, it appears that doc strings are only saved for Enum, Fixed and Schema.

Given that doc strings are supported for Schemas, I expected to see the
'Message structure for the echo service' in my generated java code.
However, even with the default velocity templates this string isn't
present in the generated files.

Has any else run into this? Do I just have some simple syntax error in
my IDL? Is there are reason that the parser doesn't support doc strings
for more of the types? (e.g. Messages?)

Thanks,
George