HBase >> mail # user >> Utility of client gateways vs client libraries connecting directly to region servers & zookeeper ?

+
Simon Majou 2013-06-05, 13:03
+
Ted Yu 2013-06-05, 14:21
Re: Utility of client gateways vs client libraries connecting directly to region servers & zookeeper ?
Thanks for the info Ted, I look to see if I can do the same for REST.
Simon
On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Ted Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For thrift, there is already such support.
>
> Take a look at (0.94 codebase):
> src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/HRegionThriftServer.java
>
>  * HRegionThriftServer - this class starts up a Thrift server in the same
>  * JVM where the RegionServer is running. It inherits most of the
>  * functionality from the standard ThriftServer.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 6:03 AM, Simon Majou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I wonder, why spawing an extra process for the different gateways
> (thrift,
> > stargate, avoc ...), when you can make your app discuss directly with
> > region servers (and zookeeper) ?
> >
> > If your app is in Java you can use the native client so your app
> > communicates directly with the region servers. That's great for Java, but
> > in all other languages you have to go through an additional gateway.
> >
> > This additional gateway means doubling the burden in IO, and an extra
> step
> > of parsing (eg more CPU used & more latency).
> >
> > Why not adding directly the REST / thrift / avoc interfaces directly into
> > the region servers ?
> >
> > From a development point of view it would be easier as you can use
> directly
> > the API of the region servers.
> >
> > From a load point of view, all the requests sent at those gateways go to
> > some region server afterward, so adding gateways really doesn't help.
> >
> > Of course there is the cost of parsing data, but it is probably quite the
> > same as the current parsing. And you can spawn additional processes
> > directly from Java easily.
> >
> > (BTW it would be great also to use some evented frameword (like
> > http://vertx.io/) to avoid wasting resource in IO)
> >
> > Simon

+
Stack 2013-06-06, 01:29