Zookeeper >> mail # user >> SASL problem with 3.4.4 Java client

Re: SASL problem with 3.4.4 Java client
On 2012-09-26, Mahadev Konar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for point this out JL and Robert. We have a jira for this
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1477 and we will be
> doing a 3.4.5 ASAP to address this.

This ticket doesn't look like it describes my problem.  For me, it's
OSX that works fine and Linux which does not, with rather different
symptoms -- the client is explicitly deciding not to send any packets.

I think I've tracked it down.  In Linux,
ZooKeeperSaslClient.clientTunneledAuthenticationInProgress is not
receiving any SecurityException out of the call to
javax.security.auth.login.Configuration.getConfiguration so that
method thinks it's actually trying SASL.  On OSX an exception is
thrown and so the "Could not retrieve login configuration" log line is
triggered.  It looks like the constructor's idea of what constitutes
"I'm going to do SASL" and the cTAIP method's idea differ a bit!

Digging slightly further, the looks like it might be a difference
between openjdk and the Oracle JVM rather than Linux/OSX.  On openjdk,
j.s.a.l.Configuration.getConfiguration succeeds on every system I've
tried I've tried (admittedly all debian/ubuntu), but the Oracle JVM
throws a SecurityException.