MapReduce >> mail # user >> knowing the nodes on which reduce tasks will run

Re: knowing the nodes on which reduce tasks will run
HI Abhay

The TaskTrackers on which the reduce tasks are triggered is chosen in
random based on the reduce slot availability. So if you don't need the
reduce tasks to be scheduled on some particular nodes you need to set
'mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum' on those nodes to 0. The
bottleneck here is that this property is not a job level one you need to
set it on a cluster level.

A cleaner approach will be to configure each of your nodes with the right
number of map and reduce slots based on the resources available on each
machine.