Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
On 24 November 2012 20:13, Matt Foley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For discussion, please see previous thread "[PROPOSAL] introduce Python as
> build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack".
>
> This vote consists of three separate items:
>
> 1. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent
> scripting language for build-time tasks, and add Python as a build-time
> dependency.
> Please vote +1, 0, -1.

+1

> 2. Contributors shall be encouraged to use Maven tasks in combination with
> either plug-ins or Groovy scripts to do cross-platform build-time tasks,
> even under ant in Hadoop-1.
> Please vote +1, 0, -1.

+1

My feelings on Maven are well known, but Groovy can mitigate things. And
I'm not going to advocate post-M2 build tools such as Gradle.

It's ironic that Maven's utter inflexibility forces people to use scripting
languages to get their work done, but Groovy is fairly nimble here -and
easy to learn for any Java programmer. "Groovy in Action" is the book to
own.

> 3. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent
> scripting language for run-time tasks, and add Python as a run-time
> dependency.
> Please vote +1, 0, -1.

+1. I look forward to never having to debug shell script env variable
inheritance ever again.

This does not mean that I advocate writing big bits of the system in .py;
as someone who is debugging OpenStack request throttling this weekend, I
know that Python is not "the solution" to problems. For Hadoop it has a
role, but the role should be ('better than bash') and ('streaming
integration').