HBase >> mail # dev >> reason to do major compaction after split

+
Sergey Shelukhin 2013-03-07, 18:50
+
Stack 2013-03-07, 18:58
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-03-07, 19:03
Re: reason to do major compaction after split
Can you create same-level references instead of references to references?

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Enis Söztutar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was thinking of allowing regions with refs to split again, but the
> cleaning parent logic will get messy a lot.
>
> Enis
>

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Sergey Shelukhin <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Hi.
> > > Is there a reason to do major compaction after split, instead of
> allowing
> > > the reference files to go away gradually as the normal compactions
> > happen?
> > > I could think up two reasons - region with reference files currently
> > cannot
> > > be split again (not clear why not though, could just create more
> > > references); and avoiding load on the same datanodes from both new
> > regions.
> > > Are there some other reasons?
> > >

> > We could do references to references but was afraid the linkage would be
> > too fragile and would break in hard-to-trace ways.
> > St.Ack

+
Enis Söztutar 2013-03-07, 21:14
+