HBase, mail # user - median aggregate Was: AggregateProtocol Help

+
Ted Yu 2012-01-06, 03:31
+
Royston Sellman 2012-01-06, 14:22
+
yuzhihong@... 2012-01-06, 14:37
+
Royston Sellman 2012-01-06, 15:09
+
Ted Yu 2012-01-06, 19:29
+
Royston Sellman 2012-01-06, 22:00
+
Tom Wilcox 2012-01-07, 11:32
Re: median aggregate Was: AggregateProtocol Help
yuzhihong@... 2012-01-07, 11:45
Tom:
Two pass algorithm is fine. See HBASE-5139.

But we have to consider that there might be change in the underlying data across the two passes.

Feel free to log subtasks for hbase-5123 for each aggregate that you think should be supported.

Cheers

On Jan 7, 2012, at 3:32 AM, Tom Wilcox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Forgive me if this is stating the obvious (I just want to understand this better), but a naive approach to hist would surely just be a 2-pass algorithm where the first pass gathers statistics such as the range. Those statistics could be cached for subsequent requests that are also "range-dependent" such as n-tiles.
>
> Are 2-pass algorithms out of the question or too inefficient to consider?
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

>>> max
>>> sum
>>> count
>>> avg (arithmetic mean)
>>> std
>>> median
>>> mode
>>> quantile/ntile
>>> mult/product
>>>
>>> for column values of all numeric types, returning values of that type.
>>>
>>> Some thoughts on the future possibilities:
>>> An example of a future SINGLE value MULTIPLE column use case could be
>>> weighted versions of the above functions i.e. a column of weights applied
>>> to the column of values then the new aggregation derived.
+
Ted Yu 2012-01-10, 04:04
+
Royston Sellman 2012-01-10, 13:01