Pig >> mail # dev >> Next Pig release proposal

Re: Next Pig release proposal
On 10/20/11 4:58 PM, Santhosh Srinivasan wrote:
> Ref: http://tinyurl.com/4ng8upa (last discussion on 1.0)
>
> How far have we progressed from our last discussion in March. There was no consensus on the 1.0 release. Opinions ranged from having more releases to bake in the maturity of the new parser and logical plan changes to compatibility with Hadoop API (was compared to Social Security - a very hot topic these days).
>
> My concerns were around Hadoop API stability.

Over the next year or so, there are going to be two API versions of
hadoop to be supported - 0.20.x api's and 0.23 apis, as we will have
userbase on both.

I think it is just a matter of releasing pig 1.0 for 0.20.x api's and
1.0 for 0.23.x api's.  We will have to come up with a numbering scheme
that reflects 'for hadoop version X' in our pig releases, regardless of
it being 0.10 or 1.0.

As there will be support for different api's of hadoop in pig releases,
I don't see a reason why the hadoop api stability should stop pig from
going 1.0 .

-Thejas