Drill >> mail # dev >> Call for Release Vote: Apache Drill Milestone 1 Release (a.k.a Alpha)

+
Jacques Nadeau 2013-09-04, 18:19
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-04, 19:58
Re: Call for Release Vote: Apache Drill Milestone 1 Release (a.k.a Alpha)
Steven just discovered the JAVA_HOME issue occurs when running on OSX as
well.  I believe the second is not an issue.  Steven, can you confirm that
Drill will run with defaults and only requires this file if you need to
override the defaults?

thanks,
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Ted Dunning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> -1
>
> The binary artifact has an unknown and undocumented install procedure.
>
> WHen I crack open the binary artifact, I see this:
>
> ted:apache-drill-1.0.0-m1$ ls
> bin conf jars lib
> ted:apache-drill-1.0.0-m1$ ls bin
> drill-config.sh drillbit.sh runbit sqlline submit_plan
>

> That seems kinda plausible.  When I run sqlline, though, I get this
>
> ted:apache-drill-1.0.0-m1$ bin/sqlline -u jdbc:drill:schema=parquet-local
> /Users/tdunning/Downloads/apache-drill-1.0.0-m1/bin/drill-config.sh: line
> 69: /etc/drill/conf/drill-env.sh: No such file or directory
> bin/sqlline: line 30: [:
> /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_11.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java:
> binary operator expected
> Java not found.
>

> This script seems to assume something will be put into /etc/drill.  But
> there is no README or INSTALL file in the top-level, nor is there an
> obvious install script.
>
> My first problem is that I shouldn't have put anything into a system
> directory like /etc in order to run drill. Many first-time users may be
> running on machines without root access.  Better to look for a local config
> file as well.
>
> My second problem is that even if there is something to do like moving
> files into /etc, it should be documented in an INSTALL document.
>

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Jacques Nadeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Committers, I've uploaded signed source and binary artifacts for the
> > milestone 1 release of Apache Drill.  Please take a look and give a +/-1
> > for this release.  I believe voting is traditionally held open for 72
> hours
> > which would mean please cast your votes by September 7 at noon pacific.
> >
> > Artifact location:
> > http://people.apache.org/~jacques/apache-drill-1.0.0-m1/
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Jacques