Hive >> mail # user >> Problem with rank() and dense_rank()

Problem with rank() and dense_rank()
Hi again,

CREATE TABLE test (a INT);
EXPLAIN
SELECT
  DENSE_RANK() OVER (PARTITION BY a),
FROM test;

this minimal example fails with:

FAILED: SemanticException Failed to breakup Windowing invocations into
Groups. At least 1 group must only depend on input columns. Also check
for circular dependencies.
Underlying error:
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.UDFArgumentTypeException: One or more
arguments are expected.

Does anyone have an idea if we're using this wrong? It is correct that
RANK() and DENSE_RANK() take a parameter (by looking at the code). I'm
not entirely sure what it does but in any case it's undocumented and
the tests seem to work without one too.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Lars