Kafka, mail # dev - [VOTE] Apache Kafka Release 0.8.0 - Candidate 3

+
Joe Stein 2013-11-08, 20:56
+
Joel Koshy 2013-11-08, 23:30
+
Jun Rao 2013-11-09, 04:53
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-11-09, 22:00
+
David Arthur 2013-11-11, 15:07
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-13, 19:37
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-04, 01:56
+
Joel Koshy 2013-11-07, 19:29
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-08, 00:26
+
Jun Rao 2013-11-05, 15:15
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-11-06, 17:16
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-25, 20:37
+
Joel Koshy 2013-11-26, 21:15
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-26, 21:24
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-26, 22:34
+
Jun Rao 2013-11-27, 18:24
+
Joel Koshy 2013-11-27, 19:36
+
David Arthur 2013-12-02, 16:00
+
Kostya Golikov 2013-12-02, 17:12
+
Joe Stein 2013-12-03, 20:05
+
Joe Stein 2013-12-02, 17:14
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-12-02, 17:19
+
Joe Stein 2013-12-02, 17:58
+
David Arthur 2013-12-02, 18:34
+
Joe Stein 2013-12-03, 20:12
Re: [VOTE] Apache Kafka Release 0.8.0 - Candidate 5
David Arthur 2013-12-02, 18:19
Inline:

On 12/2/13 11:59 AM, Joe Stein wrote:
> General future thought comment first: lets be careful please to raising
> issues as show stoppers that have been there previously (especially if
> greater than one version previous release back also has the problem) and
> can get fixed in a subsequent release and is only now more pressing because
> we know about them... seeing something should not necessarily always create
> priority (sometimes sure, of course but not always that is not the best way
> to manage changes).  The VOTE thread should be to artifacts and what we are
> releasing as proper and correct per Apache guidelines... and to make sure
> that the person doing the release doesn't do something incorrect ... like
> using the wrong version of JDK to build =8^/.  If we are not happy with
> release as ready to ship then lets not call a VOTE and save the prolonged
> weeks that drag out with so many release candidates.  The community suffers
> from this.
+1 If we can get most of this release preparation stuff automated, then
we can iterate on it in a release branch before tagging and voting.
> ok, now on to RC5 ...lets extend the vote until 12pm PT tomorrow ...
> hopefully a few more hours for other folks to comment and discuss the
> issues you raised with my $0.02852425 included below and follow-ups as they
> become necessary... I am also out of pocket in a few hours until tomorrow
> morning so if it passed I would not be able to publish and announce or if
> failed look towards RC6 anyways =8^)

>   Joe Stein
>   Founder, Principal Consultant
>   Big Data Open Source Security LLC
>   http://www.stealth.ly
>   Twitter: @allthingshadoop <http://www.twitter.com/allthingshadoop>
>

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM, David Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Seems like most people are verifying the src, so I'll pick on the binaries
>> and Maven stuff ;)
>>
>> A few problems I see:
>>
>> There are some vestigial Git files in the src download: an empty .git and
>> .gitignore
>>
> Ok, I can do a better job with 0.8.1 but I am not sure this is very
> different than beta1 and not necessarily a show stopper for 0.8.0 requiring
> another release candidate, is it?  I think updating the release docs and
> rmdir .git after the rm -fr and rm .gitignore moving forward makes sense.
Agreed, not a show stopper.

>> In the source download, I see the SBT license in LICENSE which seems
>> correct (since we distribute an SBT binary), but in the binary download I
>> see the same license. Don't we need the Scala license (
>> http://www.scala-lang.org/license.html) in the binary distribution?
>>
> I fixed this already not only in the binary release
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1131 but also in the JAR files
> that are published to Maven
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1133are you checking from
> http://people.apache.org/~joestein/kafka-0.8.0-candidate5/ because I just
> downloaded again and it looks alright to me.  If not then definitely this
> RC should be shot down because it does not do what we are saying it is
> doing.. but if it is wrong can you be more specific and create a JIRA with
> the fix because I thought I got it right already... but if not then lets
> get it right because that is why we pulled the release in RC3
The LICENSE file in both the src and binary downloads includes "SBT
LICENSE" at the end. I could be wrong, but I think the src download
should include the SBT licnese and the binary download should include
the Scala license. Since we have released in the past without proper
licensing, it's probably not a huge deal to do it again (but we should
fix it).

>> I create a simple Ant+Ivy project to test resolving the artifacts
>> published to Apache staging repo: https://github.com/mumrah/kafka-ivy.
>> This will fetch Kafka libs from the Apache staging area and other things
>> from Maven Central. It will fetch the jars into lib/ivy/{conf} and generate
No I don't think it's a show stopper. But to Neha's point, a painless
Maven/Ivy/SBT/Gradle integration is important since this is how most
users interface with Kafka. That said, ZooKeeper is what's pulling in
these troublesome deps and it doesn't stop people from using ZooKeeper.
I can live with this.
No clue... maybe? I run into these deps all the time when dealing with
ZooKeeper.

Does one -1 kill the vote? I'm mainly trying to be the squeaky wheel
here ;) - I'd rather not hold up the release and just fix these issues
for 0.8.1.

+
Jun Rao 2013-12-03, 06:41
+