Kafka >> mail # dev >> Clients and partition leaders

+
Jun Rao 2013-02-12, 14:44
Re: Clients and partition leaders
Thanks, Jun, this answers my questions.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of an HTTP interface like Solr, but rather
the way it routes requests to leaders. However, since brokers are not
aware of all the partition leaders, then the Solr approach will not work.

I actually worked a bit on a REST interface a while ago:
https://github.com/mumrah/kafka/tree/rest/contrib/rest-proxy, once 0.8
is out I might pick it up and clean it up a bit.

-David
On 2/12/13 9:44 AM, Jun Rao wrote:
> David,
>
> The benefit of the strategy used in Solr is that it simplifies client
> routing. The downside is potential additional RPC overhead and a bit more
> logic in the server. Technically, you can achieve what Solr does in the
> client layer too. You can run a proxy that runs the java version of Kafka
> producer and exposes a restful api. Then, your non-java client can talk to
> the proxy.
>
> We do plan to support a restful api for the producer in the future. Doing
> the Solr strategy needs more thinking since currently, not every broker
> knows the leader of all partitions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jun

+